Address: K. Donelaičio g. 64/V. Putvinskio g. 55, Kaunas
Architect V. Dubeneckis, K. Reisons, K. Kriščiukaitis
Built in 1936
Routes: The New Town of Kaunas
This building represents, in the best and most clear way, the specific character of our interwar architecture: the harmonious interaction between tradition and modernity. Academic traditions are reflected by the way spaces and plan are structured to emphasize compositional axes and symmetry. This principle is opposed by the bell tower joined on the side through an arch gallery. The contradictory purpose of the museums – war and culture in one “body” – is expressed in two distinctly treated facades: the official, main one of the War Museum and the more laid-back one of the Culture Museum. In front of the War Museum there is a memorial square with monuments honoring famous activists and events of the national independence period.