Address: A. Mickevičiaus g. 9, Kaunas
Architect V. Dubeneckis
Built in 1933
Routes: New Town of Kaunas
The creation of a stylistic transition from retrospectivism to modernism, this building is dominated by features of modernized classicism. It was designed following the example of the newly built Brussels University Medicine Faculty, held to be one of Europe`s finest. Since the financial capabilities of Lithuania were more modest, the Kaunas building turned out accordingly: it is simpler. The structure of the blocks highlights the functional zoning: to administration and teaching; the connecting block and the auditoriums; and the last block was for research activities, including those of an Anatomy Institute. In 1936 the cellar was adapted for the first Lithuanian crematorium.
Photos by L. Mykolaitis and Ž. Rinkšelis, 2018–2019.