Currently: “Intermedix Lithuania“ Company
Address: E. Ožeškienės g. 10, Kaunas
Architect F. Vizbaras
Built in 1935
Routes: Naujamiesčio maršrutas
The vicinity of the post office and the phone exchange buildings was no accident. As the post office was being modernized, the need of a modern phone exchange became apparent. The rapidly increasing number of telephone subscribers was quickly overloading the ancient manual switch systems – they needed to become automated.
Although it is hard to realise today, when everyone has a smartphone in his pocket, but this change was as structural in nature as the mobile phone revolution of the late 1990s. It meant that a phone connexion could be established immediately, without waiting for the operator to connect the wires – which could take a while if the operator was overly busy (or taking a break).
The new system was installed by the British corporation Automatic Electric Company Ltd of Strowger Works. As was commonplace at the time, the building was used for multiple purposes: it housed the phone exchange itself, as well as offices, and apartments for employees. The Department of Highways and Waterways had its offices there as well. The adaptibility of the building’s planning helped it pass the test of time – it would, for example, accomodate the „Šviesa“ printing house as well. In 2014, the building was acquired by the US-based healthcare technologies and services giant Intermedix Corporation, which opened its offices in Kaunas in October, 2014.
Text by Žilvinas Rinkšelis