Address: Parodos g. 24, Kaunas
Architect inžinierius J. Andriūnas
Built in 1930
A luxury residential house reminiscent of typical semi-detached houses in the major cities of the United States, was built in 1930 by engineer Jonas Andriūnas. The architecture of the building is characterized by an avant-corps in its center, that expands the room on the first two floors of the building, and becoms a loggia and a balcony on the remaining two floors. The main entrance of the building with a staircase is pulled to the side, and a staircase leads towards the front door, “compensating” complicated relief of the house standing on the slope. Another interesting attribute is the extra-large cornice, that separates the third and fourth floors. It is assumed that the fourth floor of the house was built either later than the rest of the house, or the project was adjusted during the construction.
Unfortunately, we have little information about the homeowner himself. It should be noted that Jonas Andriūnas studied in Russia. In 1921 he graduated in Petrograd (now St. Petersburg) Institute of Civil Engineers. Through his activities and work, Jonas also contributed to the establishment and promotion of the Higher Technical School in Kaunas. He taught construction, and from 1928 to 1936 he was the founder and leader of the school’s practical training workshops. As an engineer, Jonas Andriūnas also contributed to the construction of the Aleksotas funicular. A commission consisting of architect Karolis Reisonas, engineers Napoleonas Dobkevičius, Jonas Andriūnas, Aleksandras Ganfmanas, Aleksandras Mačiūnas and others was appointed to evaluate his equipment.
Estonia recognized the state of Lithuania in 1921 and consulate was opened in Kaunas, the temporary capital of Lithuania. Several buildings of Kaunas, including this house, are related to the history of the Estonian Embassy in the city. The Estonian embassy at this address (old address Parodos str. 16) operated until its liquidation in 1940.
The following diplomatic representatives accredited to Lithuania resided in this house: Johan Leppik, Aleksander Warma, Jaan Lattik.
Text by Žilvinas Rinkšelis
Photos by Žilvinas Rinkšelis, 2019.