House of Legeckai family2021 April 11
The end of P. Višinskis Street, which directs us to the door of the Church of the Resurrection, is framed by two private residential houses. As seen from the side of the church, these two modernists form a real modernist gate to the no less modernist quarters of Žaliakalnis, characterized by a wide variety of wooden and masonry architecture.
The house standing in the right corner of the street belonged to doctor Joanas Jofetas. It was built in 1937 and designed by architect Arnas Funkas. The character of the house of restrained architecture seems to be all concentrated in the corner of the plot: it is emphasized by a recessed corner entrance, the balconies of the house are open here, and due to the diagonal of P. Višinskio Street, the additional space is used by the semicircular volume of the staircase, which extends over two floors and is decorated with small windows.
Text by Žilvinas Rinkšelis
Photos by Žilvinas Rinkšelis, 2021.