Ambasados ir konsulatai

2020 October 6
šveicarijos pasiuntinybės namas ikonelė

Residential house and the Consulate of the Swiss Confederation

Today, a sign hangs on the house standing on K. Donelaičio Street, marked with the number 45. It marks the place of the Consulate of the Swiss Confederation. It was working here from 1938 to 1940.
2019 March 18

House of doctor N. Nagornienė

In this compact house belonging to the physician Nadežda Nagornienė each floor had an apartment for people engaged in private professional practice. The apartments had professional rooms and waiting rooms to which there were separate entries from the staircase. The latter also had service entrances directly to the kitchens. Entry to the house was from a driveway. The attic apartment on the roof had a large terrace spanning the whole width of the house.
2019 February 4
chonelio elkeso ikonele

Doctor Ch. Elkesas private clinic

One of the earliest examples of a functionalist aesthetics in Kaunas, this building has a particularly laconic exterior of severe geometricized forms, with a clear delineation of spaces and planes and a distinct rhythm of elements. The kernel of the complicated plan is constituted by original oval-shaped halls. The purpose of the building was manifold: the first and third storeys had two five-room apartments; the second contained not only the owner`s apartment, but private suites in which he practiced internal medicine and Dr. Girša Elkes practiced ophthalmology. In one of the rented apartments the first Montessori kindergarten in Lithuania was established; from 1936 to 1940 the building also housed the Finnish consulate.
2019 February 3

House of lawyer A. Škėma

Owned by Kazimieras Škėma, a famous lawyer, this house had five floors, which in the interwar years was a rarity. During its construction the owner hat to negotiate hard in order to get its height approved by the municipality`s building commission, since it diverged noticeably from general height level of the structures on V. Putvinskis Street. Each floor contained a five-room apartment. Apartments in this house were rented by the Swedish and Czechoslovak legations. In 1933 on the slope of the courtyard a three-storey auxiliary building was built to house the garage, the drivers` quarters, and glazed orangery on the top floor.
2019 February 3

Nunciature

The nunciature was the first and probably only building designed specifically for a legation. The Vatican`s envoy would have enjoyed a good atmosphere here not only for representing and working but also for living and relaxing. The first storey had a chancellery, an office room, a parlor, a dining room, and a "winter garden", separated by sliding doors. The second storey had sleeping rooms, another office, and a chapel. However, because of internal political troubles the nuncio did not take up residence here. In 1932 the building was accommodated to a children`s hospital.
2019 January 9

House of businessman Jonas Lapėnas

The largest private house of the interwar period – and without a doubt, the most modern – belonged to Jonas Lapėnas, businessman and CEO of "Maistas", the largest food processing company in Lithuania, which enjoyed an export monopoly of processed meat products.