Address: J. Biliūno g. 5, Kačerginė, Kaunas district
Architect V. Landsbergis
Built in 1938
Routes: A summer resort – Kačerginė
When we talk about the architecture, the role of its creators is no less important. Even more interesting is when we have the opportunity to see not only the architecture affected by the tastes, possibilities and other circumstances of the clients, but also the residential houses of architects, designed for themselves, independent of these circumstances. They reflect their ideas, influences, philosophy and worldview. In the case of V. Landsbergis-Žemkalnis, we have the opportunity to see not only his residential house in Kaunas, but also a villa in Kačerginė.
The villa of Landsbergiai family, 1940s. Source: Lithuanian archives of literature and arts.
This summerhouse of Landsbergiai family was built in 1938. A green-painted one-story house with an attic became a shelter from bombs falling on the city during the war. After the war, the house was nationalized, and a town pharmacy was established there. Today the house again belongs to the family.
Text by Žilvinas Rinkšelis
Photos by M. Plepys, 2018.